St. Andrew, Winston, Darlington
A small rural church on a ridge high above the River Tees with beautiful views across into Yorkshire, in a very quiet area where one can enjoy the views and the peace and quiet inside the building. A Grade 1 Medieval church built in 1245, and re-arranged in the Victorian period by Dobson, the Newcastle architect, to take a belfry. The grisaille windows are believed to be some of the finest done by the artist.
Standard opening times: The church is open every Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm throughout the year, and on Sundays from April to the end of October from 10.30 am to 5 pm. Service every Sunday at 9.30 am. The church can also be open by arrangement by ringing 01325 730844 (Mrs L Lobley), or a key can be obtained from the Secretary at Streatlam Cottage (see diagram on the main notice board at the church gates.)
Comment from a visitor: There is not usually a hospitaller present, but the church is open every day in summer and visitors come. There is a visitors’ book. The atmosphere is peaceful and conducive to meditation and prayer.
Church Mews, Winston, Darlington, Durham, DL2 3RL, United Kingdom
Grid ref: NZ 14146 16861
By car – 10 miles West of Darlington on the A67 between Darlington and Barnard Castle.
By public transport – Nearest railways station is Darlington - 10 miles.
Bus number X75 and X76 (run between Darlington and Barnard Castle)
Facilities: Unfortunately there are steep steps unsuitable for wheelchairs. Toilets in the Village Hall (key in the belfry). Pub lunches available Tuesday to Saturday. Suitable for quiet days.
Low Close Farm
Tel: 01325 730392